Tuesday, September 8, 2015

We Have the Power to Choose

Area: Valley Hi/Heritage
Companion: Sister Riley Powell

Circumstances do not determine our destiny. Our decisions determine our destiny. This week we have seen miracles occur in the midst of trying circumstances. There is power in choosing to serve and follow Christ despite difficulties.

Something I've learned while running and exercising every morning is that a lot of the time, I'm really tired when I wake up and don't want to do it. Each morning I have a decision to make. Will I sweat, or will I be lazy? As I consistently choose to sweat, I reap the rewards of higher endorphin levels, more productive studies, greater energy to serve Gods children, clearer focus to serve my companion, and health and strength that keeps me going strong in this labor of love. Which is physical, emotional, and spiritual work. The decision has to be made every day. And it is a conscious decision. It is not necessarily easier the longer I do it, but my capacity to resist the temptation to quit increases. Every now and then there is a morning where I am pumped and energetic to get moving, but generally motivation follows action. Without out fail, every time I choose to work out I feel great and don't regret it in the slightest. The feeling it leaves me with is what gives me motivation to do it the next day.

That is an illustration of how everything is in life. When we read the scriptures, are we choosing to learn? It has been a precious discovery for me to see that learning is a choice. When ever we back down from a difficult concept, that is our choice. Acquiring gospel knowledge is up to us.

I am grateful for the gift of agency, which is the ability to choose right from wrong. We know what's right and have the power to choose and act according.

It can be tempting at times to get down. But as "Preach My Gospel" says, "You should not become discouraged; discouragement will weaken your faith. If you lower your expectations, your effectiveness will decrease, your desire will weaken, and you will have greater difficulty following the Spirit."

There were some moments this week where I could have been discouraged, but I chose not to be. In all honesty this was a fantastic week, full of miracles! And looking back I literally do not care about the moments that were trying. I'm actually grateful for them. The miracles we saw as a result of working hard with smiles on our faces and love for God and his children overpower and hint of selfishness, or possible discouragement. I know that the Lord is preparing his children to receive the gospel. I don't just believe it, I know it. We are here to find them. And find them we will.

We have had many preaching by the way miracles. This area is beginning to bloom in such a beautiful way. There is so much work to be done and it has been incredible to see the hand of the Lord lead us to so many. In our area book we had the name of a man who had not been contacted in years. We decided to give him a try. When we went over the man who we asked for did not live there. He introduced himself as Jerry. It turns out that he had become hardened through life experiences, particularly the death of a loved one. He had almost given up on God. But as we read from the Book of Mormon and testified of Gods plan for us and our families he brightened a bit. It seemed that hope entered into his soul for the first time in a long time. He wasn't quite open enough to commit to a return appointment, but he accepted a Book of Mormon and we prayed with him. It was after the prayer that the spirit was so strong. We were maybe there for five minutes. But let me tell you, that was a molecule of eternity. It seemed that whole world stopped just for his moment. God hears the quiet pleadings of our hearts. He sent us to this man at just the right time.

Sister Melissa Rowley

Look at Sister Rowley! Isn't she beautiful? I am so proud of all that she is becoming, she has grown so much!

I love you all! Sorry this is so short. We don't have a whole lot of time today... :)

Sincerely,
Sister Record

All in!

No comments:

Post a Comment