Monday, January 19, 2015

Adventures on the Texas Horizon

Area: Converse
Companion: Sister Victoria Foster

We got transfer calls yesterday! And guess what? It's finally happening. I'm being transferred. That's not all though, I'm being doubled in. Meaning, my new companion and I will both be brand new to the area. I'll still be senior companion. My guess is that what ever area I'm going to is currently an Elders area and they're switching it to Sisters. It could be anything though. We shall see on Thursday. I really look forward to this adventurous learning opportunity! :)

Last week we ran into a man who was walking down the street. He was a ways away, so we had walk up to him. He ended up being fairly open. He really didn't know a lot about Jesus Christ or Heavenly Father. He believed in a higher power, but hadn't given it much thought. We were able to teach him a little about how God is our loving Heavenly Father and who Jesus Christ is. At the end, we invited him to pray. He had never really prayed before, but he offered one of the most beautiful prayers I've ever heard. It was so simple. One of the things he said really stuck out to me. He said something like, "we are just seeking truth." The spirit was really powerful. I then pulled out a Book of Mormon and told him, "You said you're seeking truth. Here it is." There was about 10 seconds of silence. The Holy Ghost was testifying to him that right in front of his eyes was the truth he had been seeking. Wow... I know the Book of Mormon is true! It's moments like that where I cannot deny of it's power and my testimony of it is strengthened even more. That day was really cold, but in that moment of eternity, we barely even noticed. The warmth of the gospel was flaming within our hearts. We testified that what he was holding in his hands was truth, and that he would gain strength and answers to questions he's had all his life, by sincerely reading it. We invited him to read and pray, and he committed to. Hopefully we'll be seeing him again soon.

I remember being in the MTC and wondering how in the world I would be able to talk to people, and teach them the message of the restoration smoothly. I wanted my words to be smooth as sand, but they felt rough and rocky. Our last day at the MTC, the Elders had already left for Georgia, and each of the Sister's received a priesthood blessing from our teacher. Recently I looked back on some thoughts I wrote down from that. One thing that I was blessed with was that I would be able to speak like I've never spoken before. I was told again and again not to be afraid, to open my mouth, and to have faith in my Savior. I am truly humbled to see that the Savior has enabled me to speak as I've never spoken before and to teach with the spirit and with power. I know, and have a personal witness, that the Savior makes weaknesses strengths, that this is HIS work, and we are a part of it. The person I am becoming is only through the grace, mercy, and love of my Savior. I could not accomplish what he asks of me without his help. I have watched, as my companions and I have been given courage to open our mouths, and miracles happen. In 2 Nephi 32, we're promised the tongue of Angels. What a glorious thing to be a witness of.

One of my new favorite scriptures is Alma 26:22. We've been sharing it a lot lately with members. It says,

"Yea, he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing- unto such it is given to know the mysteries of God; yea, unto such it shall be given to reveal things which never have been revealed, yea, and it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance..."

What is that scripture saying? Those who repent, exercise faith, do good works, and pray continually will be instruments in bringing thousands of souls to repentance. "Thousands", initially seems like a daunting number, doesn't it? But think of it. When we are living in this way, others see our example. And whether we know it or not, our light has impacted them in some way. In turn that affects that persons children, grandchildren, and others around them. Then we think of all our friends and acquaintances. The Lord wants us to share his light and to shine forth. In fact, he has commanded us to (See Matthew 5:14-16). By turning ourselves to him, he makes us instruments in his hands to bring thousands of souls unto repentance. It is the way we live our lives, the quiet, humble acts of service, the private prayer of faith, the courage to stand for truth always, especially when others back down. What a wonderful opportunity to be on Earth at this time, and to be a part of this magnificent work. Everyone has a part to play.

Yesterday in Relief Society someone made a comment that we learn to pray at our Mother's knee. That brought tears to my eyes and reminds me of the song, "Love is Spoken Here" I've quoted it before, but I want to quote it again because it means so much to me.

"I see my Mother kneeling with my family each day. I hear the words she whispers, as she bows her head to pray. Her plea to the Father quiets all my fears. And I am thankful, love is spoken here.
"Mine is a home where every hour is blessed by the strength of priesthood power. With Father and Mother leading the way, teaching me how to trust and obey. And the things they teach are crystal clear, for love is spoken here."

Those are the words of my heart. I know that the family is ordained of God. And that we are meant to live together forever. I am grateful that my parents have taught me how to love.

I feel so blessed to be here. And look forward to sharing stories of the adventures, miracles, and growth that will come from a new area and being doubled in. :) I love all y'all so much. But I love the Savior more.

All in.

Sincerely,
Sister Record

No comments:

Post a Comment