Monday, January 5, 2015

Happy New Year!

Area: Converse
Companion: Sister Victoria Foster

Happy New Year!

I am so grateful for this new year and the opportunities that await. It has been a wonderful week! :D

On Tuesday we had exchanges. Sister Rowley came here to Converse. She's been out for about two months. I have no idea it we're related or not. She is very calm and collected. I was impressed by how mature she is, and how much she's getting everything down so quickly. I learned that she's 22. She could pass as a 19 year old though, so I was surprised, but not. It made sense with how collected she is. I learned a lot from her humility. We experienced a few miracles that day. We stopped by [M] totally unexpectedly. We didn't even have him planned. We read some of the book of Enos with him, talked about prayer, and prayed with him. Before we left, he started crying and thanked us for coming. He said that before we came, he was having a really bad time. I've never seen him cry, so it was very touching. Once again, this work is not my work. It is the Lords work. There is no way we could have known to go by his house at the precise moment he needed it.

That same night, we went to the home of a less active woman named [D]. She was having a really tough time because a close friends mother had passed away that morning. Sister Rowely and I sang "Where Can I Turn For Peace?" and "Be Still My Soul". In that moment we didn't know what to do or say to comfort her. But the message of those songs were what she needed. We talked about the plan of salvation, but ultimately it was the music that touched her heart. Music is such a powerful tool in inviting the spirit and speaking to hearts in a way that just words cannot.

On new years eve we were able to do a service project for a woman in the ward. She ended up bringing a young man out who she called her "second son". She sat him down in front of us, told him her conversion story, and asked him just to listen to what we had to say. No pressure. Ha ha! It was totally unexpected. I felt the spirit and could almost hear the words, "Teach him about the Book of Mormon." The impression was very distinct. We taught him about the Book of Mormon, and testified boldly of it's truthfulness. I felt the spirit urge me to promise him that  as he studies the Book of Mormon with a sincere heart, and asks God if it's true, he would find the direction he'd been searching for his whole life, and that we could mend family relationships. It was truly powerful.

Also, we had a really touching experience visiting a woman. Her husband passed away some time ago and it's been really hard on her and her family. She's been struggling spiritually and financially. She's a less active member. We ended up teaching her and her daughter the Plan of Salvation. We boldly invited them at the end to read the Book of Mormon. The spirit was really peaceful and powerful as we did. [G] offered the closing prayer and broke down in tears near the end of her prayer. She was praying in Spanish so I didn't know what she was saying, but the feeling in the room was powerful. She told us that the night before she had been praying for help and she knew that this was her answer. Wow...

I know that the Savior lives. The Book of Mormon is the word of God. The people in it are real people, the stories apply to me and I feel the power of it each time I read. Mighty prayer is indeed a reservoir of power. I have felt an increase in strength and boldness as I have poured out my heart to my Father in Heaven. I know that we have God's priesthood on the Earth. He has always had a prophet who holds the keys of the priesthood and receives revelation. His gospel has never changed. I know that the power of the priesthood is real, because I have felt it's influence in my life. I have been healed spiritually and physically many times. Jesus Christ is my Savior, and his love demands my soul. I love the Lord. I love his work. I will do whatever he asks me to do.

I am so grateful to be serving Him, on a mission.

I love you! All in!

Sincerely,
Sister Record

No comments:

Post a Comment