Monday, February 1, 2016

Final Week

Area: Leon Valley/9th Ward
Companion: Sister Nicholette Scott

Well, here it is... my final week in the mission. Who would have thought it would ever go by so fast? It's strange to think that in a couple days I'll be back in Utah where the weather is quite different than Texas.

There are a few scriptures that come to my mind as I conclude my full-time mission.

"So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel... For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ; for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth..."
Romans 1:15-16

"...I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life."
3 Nephi 5:13

"For behold, this is my work and my glory; to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."
Moses 1:39

"And I was led by the spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do."
1 Nephi 4:6

"...let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part of which I feel."
Alma 26:16

"...I do not boast of my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God."
Alma 26:11

Indeed, my joy is full. I have served the Lord with all of my heart, might, mind, and strength. He is my God and I will continue to serve Him. I've put my hand to the plow and I am never looking back. How grateful I am for his loving hand in my life, and the lives of each of his children.

This has been a wonderful week! {M} is progressing swiftly, despite her health challenges. The goal for her baptism right now is February 13th. =) We taught her about the law of tithing and she had already been living it. She has such incredible faith. She has always been actively involved in her church and contributed much. She will make an incredible member.

Throughout this week I couldn't help but ponder on the love I feel for these people. I feel privileged to have tasted of God's love for them. As we sat in the dining room of a particular family, finally teaching the the restoration for the first time after many attempts, Dora spoke about the love she feels from God. They are in very humble circumstances, and are going through so much, yet she sees the hand of the Lord and recognizes his blessings. My heart swelled with an understanding of Heavenly Father's awareness of her and her family. Even though their understanding is very basic right now, the Lord is very pleased with their desire to come closer to him.

While we were taking a restroom break in a McDonald’s one bright sunny day, I was waiting for my companion in the lobby, and an older gentleman with long grey hair and a grey beard approached me and asked, "Are you a preacher?" For a split second in my mind I thought about our responsibility to preach repentance and I responded, "Yes, sir." He lit up and said, "Oh, I could just tell. By the way to look, I could tell." He squinted as he looked at my name tag and asked, "What church are you from?" I told him. He was pleased at the reply as he remembered years ago when young men in white shirts and ties came to him and talked with him. By this time Sister Scott came out and joined me in the conversation. We briefly explained the Book of Mormon and invited him to attend church with us. It was a delightful encounter. I just love when people notice that we're different and come to us with questions.

As I depart from the TSAM, this land and these people will always own my heart. With that said, I look forward to the next phase of life and I know that it is all a part of God's plan of progression. There is work for me to do that I cannot do here. And I am ready.

I am a servant of God, called of Him to declare Jesus Christ, who is my shepherd. I am, because of Him! I am willing to serve Him in all regards now and throughout eternity. My heart, might, mind, and strength are His. "For many are called, but few are chosen". (My personal purpose statement)

Love,
Your sister missionary, Sister Record

P.S. See you soon!

Photos


Sister Scott and I with the Rothstein's. He is one of our ward
mission leaders.

She also has a really good sad face... She doesn't want me to leave. ;)

Fun at Chick-Fil-A. Sister Scott has a great smolder, doesn't she? Ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment