Monday, February 1, 2016

Where's the Dumpster

Area: Leon Valley/9th Ward
Companion: Sister Nicholette Scott

Dear family and friends,

The weather here has been beautiful! The air is crisp and clear (though full of cedar, aka: allergens...) and the temperature has been fairly warm. Earlier this week on one of those bright, oddly spring-like days, we were in an apartment complex in which nobody was outside. After stopping by someone we had planned, we saw that there was a bag full of icky trash sitting outside someone's door. The clever idea to take their trash and leave a pass along card in its place popped into my head. It's fun to do spontaneous acts of service for people. The only problem was that as we entered the parking lot to find a place to dispose of the trash, we could not find a dumpster anywhere. We walked up and down and around that complex for a good 15 minutes. There was literally no dumpster to be seen. I have come to know that everything happens for a reason. I joined Sister Scott in laughing at our misfortune, but not without a suggestion that there is likely someone watching us from their window who will be touched by our efforts and seek to learn more about our church. They will open their door to the next missionaries they see. Or even simply feel the love of God and have a desire to be better.

After searching to no avail, we finally decided to knock on a strangers door and ask where the nearest dumpster was. When a bulky, grumpy looking man opened the door we asked, "We have a really strange question to ask you. Where is the nearest dumpster?" He softened and gave us directions. We tried to slip a pass along card in too, but he wasn't interested. Even with the instructions he gave us we still couldn't find it. Luckily, another man pulled up in a work van. He got out of his car, and we asked him. He was kind and pointed directly behind us where there was a trash compactor with stairs leading up to where we're supposed to put the trash. I've never even seen one of those in my life! We thanked him, gave him a pass along card, and FINALLY disposed of the trash.

Here is another funny experience we had: It was dark outside and we were trying to look for a house number. We couldn't find any house numbers on the two houses we were looking at. I said that I didn't know what to do. To which Sister Scott responded, "Well, we can cry, sit on the ground, and eat dirt." We chuckled. Then I added, "Or we could stand here and creepily stare at their house." Which was exactly what we were doing at the foot of their driveway. Suddenly the garage door opened and startled us both. We started walking quickly back to the car to avoid getting caught. We couldn't help but giggle as we walked. A Hispanic woman came outside and rushed purposefully across her lawn. We decided to still say hello and give her a card. She didn't speak any English though, and the only Spanish we know is what Sister Scott knows. Which is just enough to introduce ourselves and give her a card. This woman was very friendly and animated. Out of no where a red car pulled up and she got in and left, shouting to us "I love you mama!" Of course we were delighted to have briefly met her in such an awkward situation, and we had a good laugh about it in the car.

Enjoy the journey, my friends. Everything happens for a reason and when circumstances go different then planned, just know that someone is always watching and it is our choice as to how we respond. We might as well choose to respond with love and occasional humor.

I love the gospel, and I love to teach repentance and baptize converts. For that is who I am and why I am here. I was born to assist the Lord in his great work, and I am grateful for every minute of it. I know that the joy will only continue to grow when I move into the next phase of life.

{M} is still doing very well. She is progressing and has a wonderful understanding and comprehension of what we teach her.

Also, do you remember {A}? The investigator that Sister Risenmay and I met outside the church who longed to be a member? I just received news that she will be getting baptized this Saturday! I love hearing that those I took part in teaching are still doing well and progressing.

I love you all. Make it a great week!

Sincerely,
Sister Record

No comments:

Post a Comment