Monday, March 9, 2015

Ups and Downs

Area: Serenada
Companion: Sister Melissa Rowley

Good morning!

Right now, it is pouring rain outside where I'm at. There is so much and it hasn't stopped. It's kind of fun.

You'll never guess what happened yesterday. Well, actually if you think really hard you probably can guess. Considering this is dog number 4 that I've caught on my mission. (Dog number 2 for Sister Rowley and I). Ha ha! Once again, we were talking to a man at his door and his little dog took off down the road. This situation was almost identical to the last dog we caught. He told us not to worry and that his son would go catch him. With all the distraction, we didn't get a chance to share a restored truth with him. We drove off and decided to look for the dog. I prayed that we would be able to catch it so that we could go back and talk to that man again. Within 1 minute we saw the dog coming towards us. I told Sister Rowley to jump out of the car as soon as I stopped. She did, and was able to catch it. We brought the dog back, and were able to share some restored truth with that man. He was really nice and we were glad to have another chance. Stay tuned for the next time we catch a dog... :D

Yesterday I got to talk in sacrament meeting with a return sister missionary and her younger brother who is preparing to serve a mission. It was a really sweet experience. The topic was how the youth program prepares us for the future.

This week our investigator is really progressing! She accepted the invitation to be baptized and even accepted a date. We've found that for her, teaching the lessons by reading about it in the Book of Mormon is helping her learn the most. I'll keep y'all updated on the date as soon as it gets closer.

This has been a rough week. It has been full of ups and downs... and downs... and ups... The Saturday before last I was starting to get sick, and was sick for about four days. I had some sort of cold that wouldn't go away and had to go to the doctor just to make sure everything was good. They said I was fine, which was kind of annoying since clearly I was sick. I started feeling better that evening. All week has been a struggle. Just trying to stay focused and upbeat.

On Thursday during weekly planning Sister Rowley and I had a real good talk about some goals and plans for this transfer. We were very prayerful about setting a goal for the number of baptisms we plan to have this transfer. We came to a unified decision. We have both been lacking some umph, so I was very up front about how it's been a rough week, but it's okay. We can move on with a fresh perspective. It was much needed. I was feeling a lot better by then health wise, and I really felt pumped to go out and talk to everyone and invite everyone we teach to come unto Christ through baptism. That afternoon was fantastic. We had a spirit-led lesson with a less active woman. We read Alma 32. She was baptized about a year ago and hasn't read the Book of Mormon or been active since. As we read and discussed how faith is like a seed, her countenance changed and the spirit filled the room. She began to understand. We showed love for her and invited her to come back to church. She committed to and as we left, she still had her Book of Mormon open in front of her and seemed as though she was going to continue reading after we left. What a beautiful miracle. Especially considering the challenge it is for her to read. With the time change, she ended up going to another ward. But did come! And stayed all three hours! :)

"Come Unto Christ", Margaret D. Nadauld, General Conference, April 1998

That determination and commitment has been put to the test again and again. It's hard when no body wants to even hear what we have to say, even for a moment. It's even harder when someone listens for a moment, but we fall short in opening our mouth. I feel exactly like Enoch who bowed himself before the Lord and said, Why is it I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad. And all the people hate me, for I am slow of speech. Wherefore am I thy servant? (See Moses 6:31-32). The Lords response in verse 32 has given me the drive to keep going. He promises Enoch that he will give him utterance and that no man shall pierce him.

It's hard to be in a new area, and to have someone bitterly reject something that is so dear to me. Even with the trials, I have found great peace through prayer and within the pages of the Book of Mormon. I know that everything happens for a reason. Even though we faced so much rejection and I've felt inadequate, I know that the Savior's grace makes all the difference. He gives us strength beyond our own, and I feel that each and every day. 

Miracles happen every day even when things are a little stormy. Once again "gratitude transcends whatever is happening around us. It surpasses disappointment, discouragement, and despair." -President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

I love you all!

Sincerely,
Sister Record

Photos


Sick on the couch, making a "sick face"

The doctor drew my blood... for no reason. :P

Silly selfies
Sister Rowley and Sister Record

Sister Rowley and Sister Record

We saw a buck! We usually just see deer. Lots of deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment