Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A Walk Through the Park

Area: Serenada
Companion: Sister Raelynn Pito

Hello!

What a precious opportunity to video chat with y'all (my family) yesterday! I thrououghly enjoyed it. The part that meant the most to me is when we knelt in prayer as a family at the end. I was filled with emotion as I had the opportunity to pray for each of you by name. There is nothing like kneeling in prayer with my family. Again, Happy Mother's Day, Mom! :)

This has been a wonderful week! I saw fireflies for the first time in my life! We were getting out of the car when Sister Pito said, "*gasp*, fireflies!" I jumped out of the car to see. At first I couldn't see anything. But than I saw them. Little flickers of light in the dark. It was so magical. We were standing in that persons yard for 5 minutes looking at them. Luckily their house was dark. I don't think they were home. I feel like my life is complete now. I have seen fireflies. :D

There have been so many miracles this week. The fact that we had about 18 lessons for the week was incredible. Most weeks we've had maybe 6 or 7 lessons. The numbers aren't really what count, but that just shows what amazing things have been happening. One of those lessons we had was with a group of redkneck boys ages ranging from 17 to 30. We approached them when they were outside in the middle of the day, dirty from head to foot from working with cars and what-not. (There were other nieghbors around too.) They were somewhat immature, loud, and obnoxious. But when it came to us talking to them about God and the Book of Mormon, they were very respectful and listened. We showed them "Because He Lives", taught them about the Book of Mormon, and gave them each a copy. There was one man in particlar who seemed very focused as we shared our message. He seemed like the leader of the bunch. He must have been 29 or 30. He was the dirtiest of them all, but looking in his eyes, I could tell something was clicking with him. There was a brighter light there than in the others.

On a seperate occasion we felt impressed to walk through a park. We saw some kids playing on the playground. As we walked past them, we saw a woman sitting at a picnic table looking at her phone. We approached her and introduced ourselves. We talked to her about the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Before showing her "Because He Lives", she told us that she had been looking at faith quotes just before we showed up. After watching the video I felt like I should ask her why she was looking at faith quotes. She thought for a moment and said, "Can I ask you guys a question?" She proceeded to express her concern that she hadn't been baptized. It's a big commitment that she just doesn't want to do unless she can be all in. We taught her about how Chirst was baptized. When Christ was baptized, he didn't just go to anyone. He went to someone who held the Priesthood, which is the power and authority given to man to act in God's name. We were able to tell her that she can be baptized in the same way, by the same preisthood, which was restored through the prophet, Joseph Smith. It was really neat to watch the light go on in her eyes. She had to leave soon after, but she agreed to meet with us.

As we were following the GPS to a certain address that same day, I took a wrong turn without even realizing it. I pulled up to a spot where I could turn around, and discovered a neighborhood of mobile homes that I have never seen before. I'm not sure if missionaries have ever been there because we don't have a single address from that street in our areabook (the book where missionaries record names and addresses). It's kind of out in the country where we don't have a detailed map for. We decided to park and knock. Almost everyone we met in that place was receptive. We met two woman in particular who were very kind and open. One of them was battling cancer. We visited with them for a good 20 minutes. I'm pretty sure that some angels took the steering wheel without me noticing and turned that car onto that street. It's a country road that's easy to not see, and we were obviously supposed to be there. Wow...

On Monday we were in a part of our area that we're not in very often. There is a memer who lives there who's records just came into the ward. She's not active, and nobody had had any contact with here. Sister Rowley and I originally received the paper with her information and tried several times to meet her but never did. Eventually Sister Rowley left, and I totally forgot about her. While we were there teaching someone else we were walking outside, when I randomly remembered that she lived there. The thought came dinstincly to my mind to go see her, that she was home that night. I told Sister Pito that we need to go see this woman. Turns out, she was home, and needed some uplifting. It was truly a miracle.

That's not even all the miracles we've seen this week. We have been abundantly blessed and led to people. Thank you for your prayers on behalf of the people here, and for me and my companion. I know God hears and answers our prayers.

This is indeed the Lords work. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the Lords kingdom on the Earth. In it, we find the fulness of his gospel. The power and authority to act in Gods name, called the priesthood, was lost for centries when people rejected the Savior and his apostles, but was restored again through a living prophet. This is true. I see eveidence of it every day as the Lord guides us to where we need to be and the people we need to meet. I love you all, but I love the Savior more. To him, I owe my life, my heart, my all.

In the name of Jesus Christ,
Amen.

Love,
Sister Record

No comments:

Post a Comment