Monday, May 18, 2015

"Decisions Determine Our Destiny"

Area: Serenada
Companion: Sister Raelynn Pito

We learn from President Thomas S. Monson that "decisions determine our destiny". The decisions we make truly do have a lasting impact on our lives, our families lives, and the lives of those we come in contact with.

I'd like to take a moment to pay tribute to my Grandma Record. Yesterday Sister Pito and I got to teach the Beehives (young woman ages 12-13) on strengthening our testimony. I felt impressed to share with them a bit of my Grandmothers story of faith. So I've been thinking a lot about her. I hope she doesn't mind that I share this. My Grandma came from a broken home. Things were rough and she didn't feel a whole lot of love. If I remember correctly, around the age of 12 she kicked out of her home. Life was full of uncertainty for her. Never sure of where to turn for support or love. She married at a young age (15), and had my Dad shortly after (16). I can only imagine the sadness and inadequacy she felt. When she was about 26 or so, missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints came and taught her. They showed her a new way of life. They helped her understand more deeply God's love for her, and introduced her to eternal, restored truths that would not only forever change her life, but thousands of lives. Though it was an emotional ride, she made the decision to be baptized and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. She paved the way for her children to have a better life. She was a wonderful mother and wife. She raised her children with faith and love.

My life would be very different if it weren't for her. Because of the amazing woman she was and is, I am here today. My family is strong in the gospel and sealed for all eternity. I am here, on a mission, doing the Lords work, and being an instrument in his hands in touching lives. I am forever grateful for Elder Schmidt, one of the missionaries who taught her, and who baptized her. If he had not served a mission, my family wouldn't have the blessings we have. I'm sure that I would not be serving this mission. Thank you Grandma. And thank you Brother Schmidt, wherever you are.

Every decision we make literally has an impact on thousands. Alma 26:22 says "Yea, he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing -...it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance..."

This transfer I've learned a lot about who I am. There have been some growing pains, so to speak. Sister Pito and I have learned so much about communication. Ha ha... We love each other, but being as different as we are did require some effort in working together, and some growing pains. She is so incredible. I love her faith. I'm beginning to see the beautiful things that have happened in the Serenada ward.

We've been sharing a Mormon message lately called "The Hope of God's Light". It's about a man who didn't believe in God. But then his life came crashing down.

http://www.mormonchannel.org/watch/series/mormon-messages/the-hope-of-gods-light



Once again, decisions determine destiny. I'm eternally grateful for my decision to serve a mission. I love the Lord, and I love this work!

All in!

Love,
Sister Record

P.S. Transfer calls are coming this Sunday... We're pretty sure something's going to change. We won't speculate, buuut I'm just sayin' I've been here for three transfers and Sister Pito's been here for one. So we'll see.

Also, we should be getting some form of technology really soon... :) More news to come.

Love y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment