Monday, August 25, 2014

A Few Minutes as Senior

One month celebration
Area: Converse
CompanionSister Kaitlin Johnston

Another P-day!

Can you believe I've been out a month? :) We had a mini celebration on my month mark, August 23, and took a couple pictures.

I keep meaning to use the voice recorder, but keep not finding time or miss the opportunity. I promise I'll use it. I know what a treat it is to hear your missionaries voice. :)

"Monthday Princess" Sister Record and Sister Johnston
We had some fun on Tuesday. I experienced my first Texas rain storm. It only lasted about 7 minutes. The rain drops are HUGE, and within 5 minutes the sides of the streets are overflowed with puddles. It was near the end of the day, so we stood outside to splash in some puddles and get rained on. It was oddly refreshing. I'm grateful for the meaningful advice I received from several people before I left on my mission to have fun! I didn't realize before how much I just need to let loose sometimes. Great news, I'm doing a lot better at loosening up. Ha ha! :)

By the way, Happy Birthday Mom! It's not your birthday yet, but I love you and wish you an early Happy Birthday. And Happy Birthday Chris! You're awesome! There are birthday cards coming ya'lls way.

We had some incredible experiences this week. On Wednesday we had two high school senior girls with us. Our two appointments fell through, so we decided to knock on some doors. We did mini splits in one neighborhood. Sister Johnston went with one girl, I crossed the street with the other, [L]. It was interesting to be the senior companion for a couple minutes. It gave me a confidence boost because [L] didn't really know what she was doing, and I sort of did. :) As I was about to knock on a door, something stopped me. I just felt like I shouldn't knock. My arm was literally in mid-air when I had the thought. I waited for a second. [L] was probably wondering what was going on. It just didn't feel right. So I looked at her and said, "Let's go to the next house". We went to the next house and knocked. A Hispanic woman (named [A]) opened the door. I introduced us as missionaries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and said that we have a message of Jesus Christ's restored gospel. [A] told us that she already belonged to a church, but was open to what we had to say. She asked for our church address. I had to grab Sister Johnston because I left my planner in the car. Sister Johnston gave her the address. Then [A] told us that she had been praying just as we knocked. She described it as "God knocking on her door." We all gave her a hug, and she felt the love she needed. It was so awesome! We couldn't teach her right then because she was busy, but we're seeing her this week. That was a miracle that Heavenly Father had performed for her. It's amazing how the Lord uses us to answer the prayers of His children. Heavenly Father loves everyone and hears every prayer. It was so cool to be an instrument in His hands in helping [A]. We hope that she will receive the message of the restored gospel.

Sister Record dancing in the rain

Sister Record and Sister Johnston
I was fairly timid about knocking and meeting people before this experience. I learned a vital lesson. As I was the senior companion for a few moments, I had to be confident for the sake of [L], my "junior companion". I had no doubts or fears when approaching those two doors because I wanted to help [L] learn and I had to be the one to talk. As a result, only faith was present. And the Lord provided us with a miracle. My perspective on finding and teaching people has totally changed. By having faith in Jesus Christ, He truly does lead us to the pure in heart. One departing missionary told us new missionaries, "Learn to get comfortable with being uncomfortable." I love that! How true it is. Missionary work is not comfortable! Get comfortable with the idea, have faith, and go for it. And the Lord will provide a way. :)

Another incredible experience we had this week was with a media referral. A man named [P] called someone, I think a number from Mormon.org and wanted to know how he could be a member of our church. We received a text from church headquarters notifying us of him. We went the very next day and set up an appointment to see him. We gave him a mini lesson on the doorstep because we couldn't go in without a member present. He accepted everything. We gave him a Book of Mormon, a restoration pamphlet, a pass along card with our number and the church address on it. He is hungry and ready and wanting to learn more. When we left, I looked over at Sister Johnston and said with a smile, "I think I smell golden." :) We taught him the restoration yesterday, and he accepted a baptismal date! We'll be teaching him about twice a week to prepare him to be baptized on September 20th!

Sister Johnston is amazing. Her testimony glows in her eyes and the love she has for people is felt as she talks with them. I learn a lot from her example. I'm grateful to have her as a trainer.

The gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the Earth, and it is true! Joseph Smith was the prophet called to bring it back after centuries of darkness. We can be happy in this life, even in the middle of affliction and trial as we live the principles of the gospel. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Sincerely,
Sister Record

P.S. (Mom, Dad, Lorielle, Jason, Chris, Eric, and any other family or friends, this is for you). Will each of you look for opportunities this week to be a missionary to someone? They can be simple or big. Within your ward, or around. Pray for the discernment to recognize the opportunity when it comes, and then have the courage to do it. I promise that if you do, the Lord will lead and guide you and you will feel an increase of the spirit in your life. I want to hear all about it next week! I love ya'll!

Pictures from the MTC

Sister Record and Sister Pito

Brother Tialavea, Sister Record and Sister Pito

Elder Stewart, Elder Bailey and Sister Pito

No comments:

Post a Comment