Monday, September 1, 2014

Overwhelmed to Enthusiastic

Area: Converse
CompanionSister Kaitlin Johnston

How are all ya'll?

(I still have a hard time saying "all ya'll". Apparently ya'll is singular and "all ya'll" is plural. I just can't wrap my mind around that! Ha ha.)

I had my first zone meeting this week. It was so awesome, I took like 5 pages of notes. President Slaughter came and had interviews. I was really excited to have some one-on-one time with him. I also experienced my first baptism. One for a man in another ward and one in our ward that was preparing before I got here.

We had a few "spice up" moments this week. I got peed on by a dog during a lesson. Ha ha! It was actually really funny. Luckily it wasn't on my clothes, just my leg. The dog got kicked out, and we cleaned it up pretty fast. Also, we spontaneously went to McDonald's for a snack and a bee flew in our car at the drive-up window. It was so funny because we spazzed out and had to go pull over so we could get it out of the car. It was quite an adventure trying to get it out. Good times...

Missionary work is so rewarding because we have so many opportunities to serve and to grow. Here is a part of the letter I sent to President Slaughter this week describing one of those growing moments.

Dear President Slaughter,

I have to admit, I had a couple of 80% in days this week. One night I felt totally overwhelmed and didn't know how in the world I would do this for a year and a half when I have so many weaknesses. I didn't feel good enough to be here. Of course, I know those thoughts are not true, but I was just letting all the hard get to me. Luckily that didn't last long. Sister Johnston and I talked, and she knocked some sense into me. She reminded me of all the good things I do and that it's normal to feel overwhelmed. Later that day I prayed. And it's amazing what happened after that. My attitude completely turned around. I began repeating our mission purpose over and over in my head and got super excited again. There are moments of discouragement. But that's part of life and certainly part of a mission. The Savior knows how to succor us and lift our burdens. One vital thing I got from that trial is how some people must feel when they get ready to make the huge decision of getting baptized and becoming a new member. It pricked my heart to think that some may wonder if they're really good enough to be a part of such a cause and if they are adequate. Of course they are! The Lord does not expect perfection. He requires simple faith. I totally understand how they feel! As a missionary I occasionally have felt that, but with this new perspective, I have greater confidence in myself and know that the Lord qualifies me. It is through Jesus Christ that I can overcome weaknesses and become an instrument in His hands. I am so grateful for this strengthening of faith that the Lord gave me because I have learned some vital things, feel closer to my savior, and can better relate with the people who may be facing similar things.

Also, miracles never cease! When we have faith and confidence, we are constantly finding people. The Lord truly does lead us to those He is preparing.

Jesus Christ is our Savior. It is only through Him that we can become not only better than we are, but the best we can be. We cannot do it any other way. He paid the price so we can be cleansed from sin, and gain victory over death. The atonement is real. God hears and answers prayers. I feel him listening to me and know he is there. Faith is the first principle of the gospel. It is beautifully simple and a requirement for us to come to know Jesus Christ and serve Him. This work is His work! The Church is true! The scriptures are awesome! In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. :)

I'm so glad to be a missionary! What a wonderful opportunity to serve and grow. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else at this time in my life. I know I'm exactly where the Lord wants me to be.

I love you all! And I'm still waiting to hear back about those missionary experiences. Take your time, and continue to pray. No matter how simple, I want to hear. :)

Talk to you next Monday! :D

Sincerely,
Sister Record

P.S. I forgot my camera today! I'm sorry... I promise I'll send more pictures. Just keep nudging me about it. I have some from this week that I'll give to you next. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment