Monday, September 29, 2014

Truth and Diligence

Area: Converse
Companion: Sister Sarah Felix 

Hi ya'll!

First of all, Chris, congratulations on becoming a glorified lunch lady! Now you can save money for a mission! I bet you're the best glorified lunch lady they have. ;) And I really appreciate the third companion [A coin Chris sent her]. Ha ha! I'll keep it forever. That's really cool that you're collecting coins.

I can't tell you how amazing it is to be a missionary! These past couple weeks have been incredible, I barely know where to start. I can definitely say that I know more than ever that this church is true. IT"S TRUE!!! This is so much bigger than here and now. This is about eternity and God's love for his children. Sister Felix is absolutely amazing. Her and I have so much in common. We are one in purpose and vision in doing the Lord's work, and we also have so much fun together. She is an amazing companion, teacher, and friend. She strives to be exactly obedient and I learn so well from her because she leads by example. She really knows how to put herself in other people's shoes. Especially investigators and less active members. She is sympathetic, compassionate, and diligent. We strengthen one another in all things. She is evidence that the Lord knows and grants the desires of my heart. She came right when I needed her. As her and I have been seeking the spirit by exact obedience, we have truly seen miracle. There is so much work to be done here and amazing things are beginning to happen.

First, one of our investigators, [C], is progressing! He's reading the Book of Mormon seriously and praying. Once he starts coming to church we can try setting him with a baptismal date again. I asked him in our first lesson and he declined. But we have great hopes for him. He has amazing potential.

We stopped by the home of potential investigators. the [B] family. They are husband and wife, and ministers of another church. They're very spiritual and have a lot of questions about the Book of Mormon. We showed up at a tricky time, but we asked if there was anything we could do. Sister [B] was teaching home school at the time we showed up and her husband wasn't home. She asked us to come in and give the children an inspirational message. We of course accepted, but Sister Felix and I briefly looked at each other with the thought, "What in the world are we going to say to these kids?" We followed the spirit and introduced ourselves as missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We talked a little bit about who the missionaries are, and how we help others. We told them that they can be missionaries too in a different way. By being a friend to someone and telling them about Jesus Christ's love for them. Sister [B] then asked if they could pray with us before we left. They gathered in a circle to join hands. For the kids sake, everyone put their right foot in the circle to create unity. A young man proceeded to offer the prayer. It was really interesting. His prayer was enthusiastic and soulful. I'm not really sure how to describe it. He prayed for us and our safety. The thought came into my mind to ask them if we could pray for them too. When he ended I sincerely thanked him and told him that his prayer was really touching. I then asked if we could offer a prayer for them. They were very willing, and began to join hands. We demonstrated that we kneel out of respect and fold our arms to keep them still. As I began to offer up a prayer, the environment changed. The spirit filled the whole room as we quietly offered a humble prayer. Not one of excitement or soulful emotion, but of communing with our Father in Heaven. The difference in feeling was very evident. The spirit was so strong! Everyone felt it. This is probably the most powerful experience I've had so far on my mission.

We had zone conference a few days ago and got to see the film, "Meet the Mormons" IT IS SO AMAZING!!!! Go and see it! And share it with friends. I can't even describe in words how great it is. We left feeling on fire to share the gospel. This film left us with a greater understanding that we are all a part of God's family.

I've been learning a lot about diligence. Diligence, as quoted in Preach My Gospel, is "steady, consistent, earnest, energetic effort in doing the Lord's work." When we are diligent, we are filled with joy and peace that we are engaged in the greatest work, the Lord's work. We were sent here to proclaim His gospel. When we diligently do so, it is the greatest feeling. I love being a missionary!! My relationship with God is growing so much and the love he gives me for his children is a driving force.

I love you all, and encourage you to keep looking for those missionary opportunities. As you pray and ask God, he will show you. Have the courage to act. I look forward to hearing about the opportunities you find.

Sincerely,
Sister Record

Pictures


A Converse water tower

When I was gathering my things to leave for Zone conference last Friday,
this lizard popped out from under my things! I told Sister Felix
 to hurry and come see. We caught it and had fun taking pictures
and releasing it back into the wild (next to the parking lot).

The lizard

No comments:

Post a Comment