Monday, June 22, 2015

Baptism and Invitations

Area: Serenada/Georgetown
Companion: Sister Raelynn Pito
Companion: Sister Rachel Bills

Sorry this is late today! We went to Burger University with some Sisters in the Serenada ward. It is fantastic! It kind of reminded me of the Disney movie, Monsters University. The menu is so cute! I decided that after my mission, I'm bringing y'all back with me to Georgetown because it is so full of fun things. Afterwards we went to a cute thrift store and explored the courthouse. We took some fun pictures.

Sister Record at the courthouse

This Father's Day season, I'd like to take a moment to recognize all the things I love about my Dad.

I remember watching my Dad hold my baby brother in such a gentle way, with his arms wrapped around his tiny body. Somewhere in my memory I remember being held like that, encircled in the fatherly arms of safety. That feeling has never left me. Wherever I am, whatever I'm experiencing, I know that his arms will always be open. Dad, through your example, I have learned of my Father in Heaven's love for me. From a toddler at Burger King, to a soon-to-be missionary at the temple, Daddy-Daughter dates are priceless gems of eternal worth. Spending time with the family has always been your highest priority. There have been countless days where you came home after a long day of work and played with us kids, other days you came home early to help out around the house, or even took the day off when we needed more family time, or someone was sick. I will never forget the love and attention you give me when ever I talk. You turn away from whatever you're doing and give me your full attention. Those many hours of helping me with math homework, of talking to me about dating a man who loves his mother, and discussing the principles of the gospel have taught me so much. The first time I really started studying the Book of Mormon was after I saw you taking your own personal study time consistently every morning. Thank you for your love. You will always be Daddy to me, but how grateful I am for a Father who cares, lifts, and supports all those around him. I love you, Dad. And Happy Fathers Day! This video is for you.


This week we did have a baptism! I'm glad y'all got the pictures. :) Everything about the baptism was a miracle. {J}, (the woman who was baptized) had been meeting with the Elders before we came into the area. They prepared her beautifully. There came a point where she stopped progressing, and they moved on with faith. Our first Sunday in the Georgetown ward Elder and Sister Adair pointed her out to us and told us that she was an investigator. She came to church with one goal in mind. And that was to pay tithing. She did, and the next week she came to church again. She related to us a huge blessing she had seen after paying her tithing and knew that it was from the Lord. We still hadn't met with her ourselves at that point. As she talked to us the spirit distinctly impressed upon our minds that we needed to meet with her and that she was ready to start progressing again. That week we discussed what step to take with her. We felt that we needed to invite her to be baptized the following Saturday, which was a week and a half away. Our first lesson with her was powerful as she accepted the invitation to be baptized in a week. We met with her every day after that to ensure that she would be ready. It was amazing to see the Lord work in her. At the time we asked her, there was still a lot she needed to understand. Each time we felt unsure, the spirit reassured us that she was ready. As we asked her the baptismal interview questions it became clear that she was ready. Day after day we taught her. By Friday, an amazing transformation occurred in her. Her faith is so pure and so strong. Her baptism was beautiful. We stood at the font to watch her be baptized. A flood of emotion washed over me as she came up out of the water. This experience is a testimony to me that the Lord prepares his children. {J} is an incredible light to those around her, and is eager to learn and to help others. I know that we were meant to be here at this time to help her enter the waters of baptism.

Sister Record, Sister Bills, {J}, Sister Pito
We have had a lot of unplanned service opportunities this week. The other day we were able to help a woman carry her groceries in and ended up teaching her a lesson. She was very kind, but not interested. We felt impressed to invite her to be baptized. So we did, and she declined, saying that she has already been baptized in her church. It was neat to explain to her the doctrine of the priesthood and how Christ was baptized. Even though she declined, the spirit was very strong. Our purpose is to "invite others to come unto Christ through [the doctrine of Christ]". The key word is invite. I'm grateful for our Savior, Jesus Christ and how he invites me each of us to come unto him.

I love you all! Thanks for all you do.

Sincerely,
Sister Record

P.S. Just so you know, I'm going to record myself singing a song and send it to you. Possibly today, but I'm not sure if I'll get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment