Monday, July 27, 2015

The Miracle of the Library

Area: Serenada/Georgetown
Companion: Sister Jessy Montclair

It has been another miraculous week here in the TSAM (Texas San Antonio Mission). I do not know how I got so lucky to come to the best mission on Earth. I'm proud to be a TSAMer.

{D} and his kids are doing great! {D} is getting baptized this Friday. He is solid. Due to some complications, the children's baptism will be delayed. But their progress certainly won't. The good news with that is he will be able to baptize them when their time comes. :) Family home evening went very well last week with them. We taught tithing, which they readily accepted. The ward is really taking them in.

Sister Snyder and Sister Record

A couple weeks ago we were in an RV park way up in the boonies, contacting a referral. We didn't end up meeting the referral, but we saw a guy outside. He seemed genuinely touched that we had stopped to talk to him. Come to find out, he's a member! He was baptized years ago, but hasn't been involved in any religion since. He is a scientist, and is analytical by nature. He couldn't meet right then, so we set up a return appointment for a couple weeks later. Which in missionary time, is a long time! But the other day, we had that lesson with him. We got there and forgot to bring another woman with us. He works in the heat, and so we decided to meet at the library. The lesson with him was incredible. He has been a lost sheep for so long that he didn't barely comprehended the concept of God. We focused on that and the spirit was really strong. We taught the restoration. It was amazing to see the Holy Ghost working as everything we taught was so familiar to him, and he really wanted to know the truth. He is so sincere, and ready to come back to the fold of God.

Near the end of the lesson we were reading Moroni 10:3-5, which talks about asking God with a sincere heart and how he will manifest the truth through the power of the Holy Ghost. A young man had been standing at a nearby window, when he walked up to us and asked if he could join us. That does not happen every day! Sister Montclair and I were so taken aback, but immediately responded, "Absolutely!" He pulled up a chair and told us that he doesn't hear people talk about God very often in a public place. He expressed that he didn't know why he had come to that window, which was in a quiet corner of the library away from all the books. When he heard us taking about God he debated whether or not to join us. He said, "I told God that if my bible is in my backpack, I'll join them." As he spoke he pulled out his bible. Lately, he explained, he has come back to God and knows that he needs to have an open mind. Since we were at the end of the lesson with {J}, the less active member, we explained the background of the Book of Mormon and gave him a copy. We ended the lesson with a prayer so {J} could get going, but asked {S}, the kid who joined us, to stay so we could teach him one-on-one. He received the message of the restoration well and even agreed to be baptized. What a MIRACLE!! We weren't even walking around looking, he just WALKED UP to us! We were at the library for a couple hours, and when Sister Montclair and I came out. We looked at each other with big smiles and exclaimed, "What just happened?!" We were on cloud nine for a while.

Yesterday we were out working and had to use the restroom. We cleverly decided to ask a less active member if we could use theirs. We looked in our book to see who was closest, and picked a part-member family. The Dad is the only member. His wife and two kids are not. At first they seemed a little uncomfortable, but warmed up fairly quickly as we had friendly chit-chat. The conversation kept going, and they told us about their church. Before leaving we asked if we could share the video "Because He Lives".


After watching, the spirit was really strong. We asked them what they liked, and the Mom broke down crying. That morning she had been praying for guidance. She has wanted so badly for years for her family to go to church together, but she just didn't know where to find it. She wants to meet with us because she knows we were sent by God. Wow, prepared! That video was inspiring and helped that family so much. Before showing them the video, I felt an overwhelming impression that this family is prepared. I could see in my minds eye the Dad becoming active again, and mom and kids being baptized. There was a moment when I looked into her eyes and testified that God loves her, and we embraced for a long time. Amazing.

I stand before you, in spirit, with an absolute sure and unwavering knowledge that God hears the pleas of each of his children. I know that he lives. I don't just believe it any more, I know it. The love I have felt for these people is unlike anything I have ever experienced. I cannot describe the depth of the emotions within me. All I can say is that I am a witness. He lives, he loves me. He loves each of his children. The blood of the restoration flows in my veins. The blood of Christ has cleansed me. I can say with confidence that I am a new person, and I am clean. He is real. I love my Savior. I love his work.

I love you all. Thanks for all you do, and for always seeking opportunities to reach out and share the gospel. I know you have and will be blessed as a result. Keep it up.

Sincerely,
Sister Record, servant of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment