Monday, December 8, 2014

I Braced Myself

Area: Converse
Companion: Sister Sarah Felix

Transfer calls came... I am staying in Converse and Sister Felix is leaving. I have to admit, it's been hard. All week we kind of already knew that something was going to change, and luckily I had some time to accept it before we received the call. :) I feel ready and at peace now, but my heart definitely needed to adjust to the idea. It's still adjusting. We actually thought that I would leave and she would stay, so we weren't expecting that at all. I look forward to next transfer, and I am glad that I'll be here longer. We are finding so many people.

Sister Annelise Record
Since we went on a lot of exchanges this transfer I got to drive in my area when Sister Farmer came to Converse. This week, there was a squirrel in the middle of the road. There was nothing I could do to avoid it, so I did exactly what I was taught. I braced myself, held firmly to wheel, and ran over it... Now I have ran over an animal. Wow, what a wonderful way to start off my letter. Ha ha!

We had a wonderful lesson with a man who has been investigating the church for about 16 years. His wife is an active member of our ward. We sang a song, and read some scriptures on baptism. It was powerful. We invited him to be baptized and he said he would really pray about what day to do it. He said he feels like it's soon.

There is a woman named [M] who we've been trying to contact for months. She was a member referral but was always never home or really busy. We didn't think she was even interested. A couple weeks ago we stopped by and of course, she was really busy, but we asked if we could give her a Book of Mormon. A couple days ago, we were driving with a member (because our car is in the shop) and only stopped by her house because we happened to be by her. We didn't think she would be home, but she ended up letting us right in. She is very animated and loves to talk. She invited us to sit down and said, "Let me go grab my book!". She had already been reading the introduction and testimony of the witnesses on her own! She was talking to us like she knew us. Sister Felix and I were quite surprised. We taught her the Restoration and she agreed readily with everything. We also taught her how to ask God questions, because she is so good at praying, but felt really uncomfortable asking him questions. It was neat to see her perspective change. We went over the very next day and the lesson was even more powerful. Her heart is incredibly open and receptive. We showed her the "He is the Gift" video, and discussed priesthood authority and the restoration with a special emphasis on baptism. We asked her how it makes her feel to know that God's authority is on the Earth today. This was her response. Quote: "It makes me feel that I am in the wrong place." She went on to talk about how comforting it is for her to know that she can depend on God and his servants. She said that she needs to get in the right place. She has such a desire to grow closer to God, and feels the spirit when we teach. We invited her to embrace the gift of Jesus Christ and be baptized by one holding His authority. She almost accepted, but said that she'll need to think about it. I feel very confident that she will accept. She accepted the invitation to come to church, and to the relief society activity. And she already has some member fellowship. It's just so incredible! I'm really glad I'll be here another transfer to watch her progress.

We had such a neat lesson with the [G] family. We went over the Restoration again using the 20 minute Restoration DVD. The visual of the movie seemed to click well with them. At the end of the DVD I felt the spirit so strong in my heart testifying to me that these things are true. I felt tears come to my eyes as the spirit enveloped me. I felt moved upon to testify. And so I did with all my heart. I know that Joseph Smith was and is a prophet of God, and he was called to Restore Jesus Christ's gospel and to the Earth.


We've been using "He is the Gift" a lot. It touches everyone who watches it. This Christmas season is such a beautiful time to reflect on our relationship with the Savior.


This truly has been an incredible week. I love you all!

Sincerely,
Sister Record

P.S. It does not feel like December here. It feels like September. Some days feel like October. I don't mind though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment